Meet handsome Syd, well meet the digital x-ray of Syd. Over the long weekend he went fishing with the family. Whilst on the adventure, he accidentally swallowed the bait, line and hook.
His worried family cut the line from the rod. Thankfully nobody had tried to pull the line out as this can cause severe internal damage. One of the main challenges is to find out where the fishing material is in their body. As a result, when Syd arrived at hospital, he was given some sedation. This helped Syd relax so the veterinarians could take some digital x-rays. On completion, these showed the fishing material sitting in his stomach.
Dr Steve advised that fishing hooks can puncture from the oesophagus, stomach or small intestine and that can cause life-threatening problems. Additionally, the potential of it passing through without causing a problem is very low.
To remove the material Syd needed to have emergency surgery. The veterinary surgeon very carefully operated removing all the fishing material from his stomach. There were no major complications in surgery and now Syd is safely back home.