The previous blog article provides advice on dog births and the normal 3 stages of dog parturition.
The guidance below is from the emergency vets and shares 10 significant reasons why you would seek immediate veterinary assistance.
Signs of dog labour complications:
- Green vulva discharge and no puppy within 2 hours
- Watery foetal fluid passed more that 2 hours ago but nothing else has happened
- Your dog has had weak, irregular straining which has been occurring for more than 2 hours
- She has had strong, regular straining for more than 20- 30 minutes but no pups have arrived
- It has been more that 2 hours since the last puppy was born and you know there are more
- She has been at the second stage labor for more than 12 hours and no progress has been made
- Not all the placentas have not been passed. This usually happens within 4-6 hours
- The lochia (afterbirth) are putrid and smell terrible
- Your dog has not stopped genital bleeding
- The mother and or pups don’t seem to be doing well
Dog labour questions:
Should you have any reasons to believe that your dogs parturition is not progressing as normal please contact a veterinarian for advice as soon as possible. The after hours vet clinic is available for assistance every night of the year, 24hr on weekends and public holidays. T 9200 4460